About Rebecca Carroll-Bell, The Everyday Mediator
Solutions for Everyday Conflict and Drama
My Super Powers aka How I help you handle conflict
I’m Bec, the Everyday Mediator, and I love conflict! Well, what I mean is, I love untangling the threads that cause conflict and working with you to find solutions that really work for your particular situation.
Most mediators will tell you all about the proven process we use to bring parties together to identify the cause of conflict and create a forward-focused solution, and that’s exactly what I do; but let’s face it, only other mediators care about the process. What you want to know is why you should choose me? I have a knack for talking to people. Maybe it’s because I was raised in the country. Maybe it’s my Irish-Aboriginal Australian heritage. Who knows?
Whatever the source, my super powers include:
- Integrity: My approach is based on trust and openness. You can rely on me to keep your secrets.
- Listening: It’s not my job to talk a whole lot in mediation. Rather, I create the safe space for you to talk, tell your side of the story, and work out solutions that will work for you.
- Interpreting: I get it. I hear what you are saying, and if its needed, I interpret it so that everyone else in the mediation also gets it. Sometimes it’s the smallest assumptions and misunderstandings that grow into conflict. When you understand one another, you can repair your relationship and get on with doing what you do best.
- Curiosity: Before I can guide you towards a solution I love to understand the current situation, so I tend to ask a lot of questions.
- Flow: You will be surprised how easily the conversation flows and what we uncover together.
For more than 12 years I worked as a litigation lawyer, representing clients from the Commissioner of Taxation to “mum and dad investors”,
After moving to Melbourne in 2011 I went to work representing vulnerable Victorians, fighting to protect not only their assets, but their dignity and wellbeing.
A lot of my work was in and around will disputes. My clients were often grieving over the death of a loved one, while at the same time doing battle over the estate. I believe I saw the best and the worst of people in those cases. Anger and pain radiated off my clients, and underlying that was often a feeling of helplessness and futility. Many felt there was nothing they could do to protect and preserve their loved one’s memory, or indeed to control what was happening now. They were stuck on a merry-go-round of lawyers, courts and expert reports.
I want to help you get out from under the burden conflict brings
During my years as a litigation lawyer I learned that:
- Most people want to be heard;
- Most people want to have their experiences and feelings acknowledged and validated; and
- Most people want to feel in control of their future.
Mediation gives you this opportunity to have all of this and more. Finally, here was something I could do to help relieve the tension. Instead of having cases drawn out for another 6, 12, 18 months, here was a way to short circuit the whole process.
Based in Melbourne, Australia, I offer a range of personalised, flexible conflict resolution services, with a focus on how your dispute can be resolved by and for you. After all, you are the expert on your life so who better to create your ideal solution?
I can’t promise you a Happily Ever After, but I can promise you a safe space in which to share your experience and explore options to resolve the conflict.